Education & Prior Employment
- J.D., summa cum laude, Indiana University McKinney School of Law. Editor-in-Chief, Indiana Law Review; Order of the Barristers; Chancellor’s Scholar
- B.A., magna cum laude, Butler University. Journalism departmental honors; Editor-in-Chief, The Collegian
- Judicial Intern. The Honorable Chief Judge Larry J. McKinney, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- AV Preeminent®, Martindale–Hubbell
- Indiana Rising Stars ® (2010, 2014–17)
Professional Associations & Civic Involvement
- Board of Directors, Little Red Door Cancer Agency, Indiana Health Care Foundation
- Indianapolis Bar Association Labor & Employment Section Executive Committee (Secretary/Treasurer), Go Green Committee (past co-Chair), Bar Leader Series Class VIII
- Alumna, Sagamore American Inn of Court
- American Bar Association Section of Litigation Privacy and Data Security Committee, Section of Labor and Employment Law
- Represents employers against claims for discrimination, harassment, and retaliation before the EEOC, state, and local agencies, and in federal court.
- Defends companies facing interference and retaliation claims under FMLA and ERISA.
- Represented employer defending against claims of defamation, blacklisting, and wrongful discharge.
- Negotiated resolutions of employment-related claims via EEOC mediation, private mediation, and court settlement conferences.
- Consults with employers on hiring, discipline, and termination.
- Conducts internal investigation of employee complaints regarding alleged violation of federal law.
- Reviews and updates company handbooks and policies.
- Conducts training for employees regarding anti-harassment policy and procedures.
- Advises employers and individuals regarding restrictive covenants, executive compensation agreements, and separation agreements.
- Drafts and advises companies regarding employment agreements including non-disclosure, non-competition, and non-solicitation agreements.
- Consults with employers on ADA accommodation and leave requests, FMLA compliance, and state and federal wage and timekeeping compliance.
- Assists corporations in development of record retention policies.
- Represented group of individuals pursuing administrative review and federal claims for failure to timely provide Plan documents and denial of pension benefits.
- Represented retiree in claim for benefits arising from wrongful offset of pension benefits.
- Defended ESOP and fiduciaries against claim for breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented group health and welfare plan defending against claims for benefits.
- Obtained defense verdict for physician in medical malpractice jury trial.
- Defended healthcare provider facing claims of negligent hiring and vicarious liability for alleged invasion of privacy through public disclosure of private facts arising from alleged improper access to medical records.
- Defended challenge to the constitutionality of the damages cap in the Indiana Medical Malpractice Act.
- Defended challenge to provider’s qualified status under the Indiana Medical Malpractice Act.
- Represents litigants before the Indiana Court of Appeals, the Indiana Supreme Court, and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Business & Commercial Litigation
- Defended corporation against claim for breach of contract.
- Defended individual against claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary and conversion claims.
- Represented bank in commercial foreclosure action, sheriff’s sale of properties, and in pursuing fraudulent transfer claim against debtor.
Presentations & Publications
- Moderator, Amendments to Federal Rules 26 and 34 – Employment Discovery Disputes, Indianapolis Bar Association, May 24, 2016.
- Presenter, Federal Bar Association, Mylawcle.com, HIPAA and Health-Related Claims for Employment Litigators, Webinar, January 26, 2016 and various dates.
- Presenter, ADA and FMLA Updates and Interplay, Fundamentals of Employment Law, Sterling Educational Services, December 3, 2015.
- Co-Presenter, Discrimination and Harassment, IBA Employment Law for Small Business Seminar, October 22, 2015.
- Presenter, Advanced ADA, FMLA and Pregnancy Accommodation Issues, IHCA HR Workshop, June 25, 2015.
- Presenter, HIPAA and Health-Related Employment Claims, NBI Teleconference, April 27, 2015.
- Presenter, Advanced FMLA and ADA Issues, Sterling Educational Services Labor & Employment Law 2014, December 4, 2014.
- Presenter, Effective Evaluation and Discipline from a Legal Perspective, IHCA Annual Convention, August 20, 2014.
- Presenter, Best Hiring Practices from a Legal Perspective, Northeast Indiana Human Resources Association (NIHRA), May 15, 2013.
- Presenter, Best Hiring Practices from a Legal Perspective, National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC), August 6, 2013
- Co-author, Best Practices: Social Media and Discovery section of panel presentation on Employment in the Information Age: Best Practices for Employers and Impact of an Overactive NLRB, EPLI ExecuSummit, October 2, 2013.
- Presenter, Background Checks and Hiring Decisions, Sterling Educational Services Labor & Employment Law 2013, October 30, 2013.
- Presenter, Keeping Good Records: Effective Employee Evaluation and Discipline, Sterling Educational Services Labor & Employment Law 2013, October 30, 2013.
- Presenter, Workplace Privacy and other Issues, Sterling Educational Services Labor & Employment Law 2012, December 19, 2012,
- Author, Where Customer Service Meets Liability, IHCA Insight, Spring/Summer 2012.
- Author, A HIPAA Privacy Primer for Health-Related Employment Claims, ABA Section of Litigation Employment and Labor Relations Law Newsletter, Fall 2011, Vol. 10, No. 1. Copyright © 2011, American Bar Association.
- Author, Long-Term Care Providers Must Not Adopt Residents’ Racial Preferences, Indiana Health Care Association Newsletter, September 2011.
- Author, Child Abuse Witness Protections Confront Crawford v. Washington, 39 Ind. L. Rev. 113 (2005).
By Laurie Martin, Hoover Hull Turner LLP The Seventh Circuit has definitively clarified that establishing a “convincing mosaic of evidence” is not a legal standard a plaintiff must satisfy …
Hoover Hull Turner Partners Jason Fulk and Laurie Martin teamed with the Indianapolis Bar Association Labor and Employment section to participate in a panel discussion on May 24, …
Thirteen lawyers at Hoover Hull Turner LLP were selected to the listings of 2016 Indiana Super Lawyers and 2016 Indiana Rising Stars. No more than five percent of …
Thirteen Hoover Hull Turner LLP attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the listings of Indiana Super Lawyers® and Indiana Rising Stars® for 2015. Two of those attorneys …
Phone: (317) 381-5636
Fax: (317) 822-0234
Assistant: Regina Miller
Assistant Phone: (317) 822-4400 x119