Assistant: Regina Miller
Assistant Phone: 317.822.4400 x119
EDUCATION & PRIOR EMPLOYMENT
- J.D., summa cum laude, Indiana University McKinney School of Law. Editor-in-Chief, Indiana Law Review; Order of the Barristers; Chancellor’s Scholar
- B.A., magna cum laude, Butler University. Journalism departmental honors; Editor-in-Chief, The Collegian
- Judicial Intern. The Honorable Chief Judge Larry J. McKinney, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- AV Preeminent®, Martindale–Hubbell
- Indiana Super Lawyers® (2019-2022)
- Indiana Rising Stars® (2010, 2014-2018)
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
- Little Red Door Cancer Agency (Board of Directors), Indiana Health Care Foundation (Board of Directors, Chair ’17-present, Vice-Chair ’16). Westminster Village North (Board of Directors).
- Indianapolis Bar Association Labor & Employment Section, (Former Member Executive Committee, Chair ’18), Bar Leader Series Class VIII, Former IndyBar Bar Review Faculty
- Alumna, Sagamore American Inn of Court
- American Bar Association Section of Litigation Privacy and Data Security Committee, Section of Labor and Employment Law
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Laurie’s experience includes:
- Defends employers against claims for discrimination, harassment, and retaliation before the EEOC, state, and local agencies, and in federal court. E.g., Lane v. Riverview Hospital, 835 F.3d 691 (7th Cir. 2016) (affirming summary judgment for employer on race discrimination claim brought under Title VII and § 1981).
- Defends companies facing interference and retaliation claims under FMLA and ERISA.
- Represented employer defending against claims of defamation, blacklisting, and wrongful discharge.
- Negotiates resolutions of employment-related claims via EEOC mediation, private mediation, and court settlement conferences.
- Defends employers against claims under the Indiana Wage Claim or Payment Act and FLSA.
- Consults with employers on hiring, discipline, and termination.
- Conducts internal investigation of employee complaints and compliance issues.
- Reviews and updates company handbooks and policies.
- Conducts employee training including on EEO, anti-harassment, timekeeping, evaluation and discipline practices.
- Advises employers and individuals regarding restrictive covenants, executive compensation agreements, and separation agreements.
- Drafts and advises regarding employment agreements including non-disclosure, non-competition, and non-solicitation agreements.
- Consults with employers on ADA accommodation and leave requests, FMLA compliance, and state and federal wage and timekeeping compliance.
- Develops and drafts record retention policies.
- Advises employers and health care providers on HIPAA compliance.
- Served as expert witness regarding HIPAA relating to form of medical record release.
- Represents individuals pursuing administrative review and federal claims for pension plan benefits and enforcement of ERISA and Plan provisions.
- Represented retiree in claim for benefits arising from wrongful offset of pension benefits. Bandak v. Eli Lilly and Company Retirement Plan, et al., 587 F.3d 798 (7th Cir. 2009) (affirming summary judgment for retiree based on administrator’s improper offset of benefits and awarding employee reasonable attorney fees and costs).
- Defended ESOP and fiduciaries against claim for breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented group health and welfare plan defending against claims for benefits.
- Babchuk v. Indiana University Health, Inc. et al., 809 F.3d 966 (7th Cir. 2016), reh’g denied (affirming summary judgment for defendants on physician’s § 1983 claim; physician failed to demonstrate harm to occupational liberty, physician had no constitutional property interest in medical privileges at hospital, and hospital’s termination of privileges was not state action).
- Obtained defense verdict for physician in medical malpractice jury trial.
- Defended healthcare provider facing claims of negligent hiring and vicarious liability for alleged invasion of privacy through public disclosure of private facts arising from alleged improper access to medical records.
- Defended challenge to the constitutionality of the damages cap in the Indiana Medical Malpractice Act.
- Defended challenge to provider’s qualified status under the Indiana Medical Malpractice Act.
- Represents litigants before the Indiana Court of Appeals, the Indiana Supreme Court, and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defends claims for breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, conversion, and related business tort and statutory claims.
- Represented bank in commercial foreclosure action, sheriff’s sale of properties, and in pursuing fraudulent transfer claim against debtor.
Presentations & Publications
- Presenter/Author, NBI, Indiana Employment Law 2022: Discrimination/Harassment; ADA Accommodations, December 15, 2022
- Panelist, Indianapolis Bar Association, Adding Insult to Traumatic Brain Injury: ‘Race Norming’ and the NFL Concussion Lawsuit, , November, 28, 2022
- Presenter/Author, NBI, Advising New Businesses in Indiana: Employment Law Basics for the Non-Specialist, September 22, 2022
- Presenter, In-House Client Presentation, Recognizing Common Friction Points for Business Owners, September 16, 2022
- Presenter/Author, NBI, Indiana Human Resources Law Boot Camp: Using Handbooks to Protect Against Legal Liabilities, HIPAA Best Practices for HR, & Hiring & Firing: Legal Dos and Don’ts, April 12, 2022
- Presenter/Author, NBI, Employment Law Advanced Issues and Answers, Deciphering FMLA, ADA and Workers’ Compensation Issues, December 1, 2021
- Presenter/Author, NBI, Business Law, Reviewing Top Issues in Employment Law, October 22, 2021
- Presenter, Proactive Medical Review Consulting, Hot Topics in HR/Employment Law, September 1, 2021 & September 7, 2021
- Presenter/Author, NBI, Indiana Employment Law and HR Update 2021: Top Reasonable Accommodation Mistakes HR Pros Make, November 17, 2020
- Presenter/Author, NBI, HR Law Boot Camp: Using Handbooks to Protect against Legal Liabilities and Hiring & Firing Legal Do’s and Don’ts, October 22, 2020
- Presenter/Author, NBI, Top Business Challenges: Employment Law Issues, December 12, 2019
- Presenter, NBI, Workplace Privacy, August, 15, 2018.
- Author, NBI, Mini MBA for Attorneys: Labor and Employment Law Essentials, June 22, 2018.
- Presenter, NBI, Ensuring Local Governments Comply with the Law: Human Resources Issues, December 7, 2017.
- Presenter, NBI, Avoiding HR Legal Landmines: Hiring, Firing, Discipline and Internal Investigation Landmines, June 14, 2017.
- Moderator, Indianapolis Bar Association, Federal Settlement Conference Best Practices, March 22, 2017.
- Presenter, Sterling Educational Services Essentials of Employment Law, Privacy and Today’s Technology in the Workplace, and Significant Employment Decisions 2016 (7th Cir. and Indiana) (with A. Mulroony), December 1, 2016.
- Presenter, ICLEF, HIPAA for Litigators, September 28, 2016 (Indianapolis) & October 5, 2016 (Merrillville).
- Presenter, NBI, Using HIPAA Protected Documents in Litigation & HIPAA Compliance for Employers, September 15, 2016.
- Moderator, Amendments to Federal Rules 26 and 34 – Employment Discovery Disputes, Indianapolis Bar Association, May 24, 2016.
- Presenter, Indianapolis Bar Association, HIPAA for Litigating Health-Related Claims, April 25, 2016–.
- Presenter, Indiana Health Care Association Spring Regional Conference, New Developments in Best Hiring Practices(with A. Emley), April 20, 2016.
- Presenter, Federal Bar Association, Mylawcle.com, HIPAA and Health-Related Claims for Employment Litigators, Webinar, January 26, 2016 and various dates.
- Presenter, ADA and FMLA Updates and Interplay, Fundamentals of Employment Law, Sterling Educational Services, December 3, 2015.
- Co-Presenter, Discrimination and Harassment, IBA Employment Law for Small Business Seminar, October 22, 2015.
- Presenter, Advanced ADA, FMLA and Pregnancy Accommodation Issues, IHCA HR Workshop, June 25, 2015.
- Presenter, HIPAA and Health-Related Employment Claims, NBI Teleconference, April 27, 2015.
- Presenter, Advanced FMLA and ADA Issues, Sterling Educational Services Labor & Employment Law 2014, December 4, 2014.
- Presenter, Effective Evaluation and Discipline from a Legal Perspective, IHCA Annual Convention, August 20, 2014.
- Presenter, Best Hiring Practices from a Legal Perspective, Northeast Indiana Human Resources Association (NIHRA), May 15, 2013.
- Presenter, Best Hiring Practices from a Legal Perspective, National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC), August 6, 2013
- Co-author, Best Practices: Social Media and Discovery section of panel presentation on Employment in the Information Age: Best Practices for Employers and Impact of an Overactive NLRB, EPLI ExecuSummit, October 2, 2013.
- Presenter, Background Checks and Hiring Decisions, Sterling Educational Services Labor & Employment Law 2013, October 30, 2013.
- Presenter, Keeping Good Records: Effective Employee Evaluation and Discipline, Sterling Educational Services Labor & Employment Law 2013, October 30, 2013.
- Presenter, Workplace Privacy and other Issues, Sterling Educational Services Labor & Employment Law 2012, December 19, 2012,
- Author, Where Customer Service Meets Liability, IHCA Insight, Spring/Summer 2012.
- Author, A HIPAA Privacy Primer for Health-Related Employment Claims, ABA Section of Litigation Employment and Labor Relations Law Newsletter, Fall 2011, Vol. 10, No. 1. Copyright © 2011, American Bar Association.
- Author, Long-Term Care Providers Must Not Adopt Residents’ Racial Preferences, Indiana Health Care Association Newsletter, September 2011.
- Author, Child Abuse Witness Protections Confront Crawford v. Washington, 39 Ind. L. Rev. 113 (2005).