Hoover Hull Turner enjoys a diverse motorsports law practice, having assisted teams, team owners, drivers, agents and sanctioning bodies in commercial disputes and transactions. We have helped clients resolve legal issues relating to various racing series, including the NASCAR Cup Series, the IndyCar Series, Pirelli World Challenge, and ladder series such as Indy Lights and ARCA.
Our substantial motorsports experience includes the following representations:
- Represented Champ Car World Series and its owners in numerous disputes with event promoters and creditors
- Represented CART race team and its owner in arbitrated dispute with rival team relating to a technology sharing agreement and ownership rights under LLC operating agreement
- Represented motorsports agency in dispute with former client relating to compensation rights
- Representation of professional race car drivers (including multiple winners of the Indianapolis 500® Mile Race) in negotiations with teams and sponsors regarding driving and sponsorship services, appearances, and intellectual property licensing
- Counseled clients regarding rights to obtain preliminary injunctive relief with respect to driving services
- Counseled race team and its owners regarding terms of agreements with drivers, sponsors, and racing services provider
- Assisted clients to achieve partial emancipation of minor children for the limited purpose of allowing them to participate in auto or motorcycle racing in Indiana
In addition to our legal work, our attorneys regularly attend and contribute to The Racing Attorney Conference (TRAC) held annually in Charlotte, North Carolina or Indianapolis, Indiana.