John David Hoover is a founding partner of Hoover Hull Turner LLP. He practices in the areas of commercial litigation, professional liability (including medical and legal malpractice defense), professional peer review, officer and director defense, campaign and election law, art litigation, and counseling buyers and sellers on the purchase and sale of fine art items.
Education & Clerkships
- Law Clerk, Judge Gene E. Brooks, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- J.D., cum laude, Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis. Associate Editor, Indiana Law Review
- Law Clerk, Judge Robert Lybrook, Indiana Court of Appeals
- B.A., Vanderbilt University
- AV Preeminent®, Martindale–Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation (2013-2017)
- Indiana Super Lawyers® (2004–2017)
- “Who’s Who in Law,” Indianapolis Business Journal
- Distinguished Fellow, Indianapolis Bar Foundation
Professional Associations & Civic Involvement
- Board of Directors service: Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana; Indianapolis Museum of Art; Happy Hollow Children’s Camp (past-Chair); Indianapolis Art Center (past-Chair); Congregation Beth El Zedeck; Herron School of Art and Design, Dean’s Advisory Board (Chair); and The Patachou Foundation (Chair)
- Past Board of Directors service: Park Tudor School (Chair); Park Tudor Trust; The Children’s Wish Foundation; BehaviorCorp; and Leukemia Society of Indiana
- Chairman of Indiana Chapter, International Network of Boutique Law Firms
- Professionals, Officers and Directors Liability Sub-Committee of the Tort and Insurance Practice Committee of the American Bar Association (past-co-Chair)
- Indiana State Bar Association, Ethics Committee (past-Chair)
- Emeritus Member, Sagamore American Inn of Court
- Member, Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
Business and Commercial Litigation
- Represented national insurance entity in efforts to purchase $3 billion in annuities from a group of affiliated insurance companies involved in multistate insurance insolvency.
- Represented an individual and his related insurance company in regulator’s state court action to invalidate an $8.5 million bond issued by the insurance company.
- Represented several manufacturing and service corporations and their owners in a variety of control disputes with other ownership interests.
- Represented several restaurants and restaurant partners in a variety of restaurant ownership control disputes.
- Represented ear plug manufacturer in common law trademark, trade dress, and common law know-how litigation.
Lawyer Liability & Licensing
- Defended numerous law firms and individual lawyers against legal malpractice claims implicating a wide variety of legal disciplines.
- Represented numerous attorneys in charges brought against them by state legal disciplinary commissions.
- Defended litigants in several cases rejecting constitutional challenges to the cap on damages contained in the Indiana Medical Malpractice Act.
- Represented numerous healthcare providers in medical malpractice engagements, including multiple jury trials over a period of thirty (30) years.
- Represented numerous healthcare providers in peer review proceedings, as well as in licensing and credentialing disputes.
- Represented several political candidates in election recounts and contests, including elections for U.S. Congress, state representative, mayoral races, and city and county offices of various types.
- Prosecuted, as co-counsel, the recovery of cultural patrimony removed from a European church and secreted to the United States.
- Defended intestate succession claims brought against an art dealer by relatives of the artist, Theodore Robinson, for more than one hundred paintings, clearing impediments to the titles of the paintings in favor of the dealer.
- Represented and advised several art purchasers about the propriety of purchasing valuable works of art, considering issues of price, provenance, and authenticity.
Presentations & Publications
- Presenter, Tackling the Issues in 30(b)(6) Depositions, Indianapolis Bar Association (October 2015).
- Presenter, Social Media and Legal Ethics, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, Business Litigation (June 2014).
- Presenter, Social Media and Legal Ethics, Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, Business Litigation (June 2012).
- Presenter, Ethics – Developments in Social Media and Ethics for Attorneys, Indiana State Bar Association (May 2012).
- Presenter, Advertising and Solicitation Rules in Social Media, National Business Institute (December 2011).
- Presenter, Legal Ethics and Social Media, St. Thomas More Society (November 2011).
- Presenter, Legal Ethics in Online Social Media and Networking, Indiana State Bar Association Annual Meeting (2011).
- Presenter, Social Media and Legal Ethics, Evansville Bar Association and Monroe County Bar Association, sponsored by the Indiana State Bar Association (2011).
- Author, The Medical Malpractice Act: Is the Cap Constitutional?, Indiana Civil Litigation Review, Vol. 1, No. 1 (2004).
- Author, Conflicts of Interest in the Defense of Medical Malpractice Cases, Federation of Defense and Corporate Council Quarterly, Vol. 50, No. 1 (1999).
Hoover Hull Turner sponsored the 2017 Indianapolis Medical-Legal Dinner at the Ritz Charles on April 19, 2017. Doctors, lawyers, including Laurie Martin, Allyson Emley, and Susanne Johnson of …
Thirteen lawyers at Hoover Hull Turner LLP were selected to the listings of 2016 Indiana Super Lawyers and 2016 Indiana Rising Stars. No more than five percent of …
Wayne Turner Named Indianapolis “Lawyer of the Year” for “Bet-the-Company Litigation” by Best Lawyers®
Hoover Hull Turner LLP's Wayne Turner has been named Indianapolis' "Lawyer of the Year" for "Bet-the-Company Litigation" by The Best Lawyers in America©. Only one lawyer in the Indianapolis …
Thirteen Hoover Hull Turner LLP attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the listings of Indiana Super Lawyers® and Indiana Rising Stars® for 2015. Two of those attorneys …
Phone: (317) 822-4400 x101
Fax: (317) 822-0234
Assistant: Laura Thirion
Assistant Phone: (317) 822-4400 x118