David Hensel is a partner of Hoover Hull Turner LLP. He practices primarily in the areas of complex criminal and business litigation. David also regularly represents attorneys, doctors, and other professionals in disciplinary and ethical matters.
- corporations and individuals in white collar criminal prosecutions and investigations and other regulatory matters, including environmental, securities fraud, false claims actions, HUD, tax, health care abuse, kick-back schemes, commercial bribery, embezzlement, RICO, insurance fraud, and bank fraud.
- Fortune 500 companies and mid-level businesses in business disputes involving breach of contract, business tort and trade secret claims.
- large Indiana law firms and their lawyers in the defense of professional liability claims, sanctions and conflict matters, and disciplinary charges.
- physicians and other professionals in disciplinary and ethical matters, including proceedings before the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency and the Indiana State Ethics Commission.
- Closely-held companies and their officers, directors and shareholders in business disputes, shareholders’ litigation and officers and directors litigation.
- J.D., cum laude, Indiana University Maurer School of Law – Bloomington; Articles Editor, Indiana Law Journal; Commencement Speaker; Best Exam Awards in Criminal Procedure and Federal Jurisdiction.
- B.A., Wabash College.
Clerkships & Prior Employment
- State of Indiana, Judge of the Marion County Superior Court
- Deputy Commissioner & Chief Counsel, Indiana Department of Environmental Management
- Law Clerk, Judge Judge James T. Moody, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation
- Indiana Super Lawyers® (2004-09, 2011-17)
- Ranked as a “Local Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation
Professional Associations & Civic Involvement
- President and Board Member, Indiana Community Federal Defenders, Inc. (2013 – present)
- Vice President and Member, Indiana Public Defender Commission (2007 – present)
- Represented pharmaceutical scientist in federal criminal prosecution for allegedly stealing trade secrets; all charges were voluntarily dismissed by government.
- Represented state official facing criminal charges for official misconduct; all charges were dismissed. State v. Hardy, 7 N.E.3d 396 (Ind. Ct. App. 2014).
- Represented former CFO of Fortune 100 company in a complex financial and securities criminal investigation resulting in no charges being filed.
- Represented owner of several large apartment complexes in HUD fraud investigation resulting in no personal charges.
- Completed one-week trial in complicated probate matter involving ownership and control of multi-million dollar family business.
- Successfully represented small health-care device company in patent infringement matter. Roche v. HDI, 455 F. Supp. 2d 840 (S.D. Ind. 2005); 374 F. Supp. 2d 673 (S.D. Ind. 2005).
Phone: (317) 381-5613
Fax: (317) 822-0234
Assistant: Laura A. Case
Assistant Phone: (317) 822-4400 x118